I have posted quite a bit in the past about the touchscreen Blackberry. Well it looks like this device is coming very close to launch. The currently estimated availability date is 11/1/08 and so is not far. More information continues to appear on the product. Here are some highlights from various sites.
Crackberry.com just posted the final specs.
- EVDO Rev A: (1900/800 MHz)
- GSM/GPRS/EDGE: (850/900/1800/1900 MHz)
- UTMS/HSDPA/HSUPA: 2100MHZ
- WiFi: None
- Size: 112.52 x 62.2 x 13.95 mm
- Screen 3.25 " HVGA+ 480×360 Multi-touch, Gesture Touch
- Battery: 1400mAh (removable! take that iPhone!)
- Memory: 1GB flash for media/ 192 meg ram
- Camera: 3.2 MP camera, vanity mirror, no flash
- Audio: 3.5mm jack, bluetooth stereo, Rhapsody OTA purchase and tethered subscription capable
- Browser: Every feature the IPhone safari webkit has, minus support for tabs. No flash support.
It will be interesting to see how the phhone is accepted by end users. I think that it looks like a very interesting option and is made even more compelling due to the delays of AT&T’s Blackberry Bold. (The Bold is the latest traditional form factor BB and keeps getting delayed.) The point is that AT&T had an opportunity to have exclusivity to a brand new BB device and it has been delayed so long that its release date is not far in advance of the Storm.
The big question about the Storm is whether users will buy into the new touch screen form factor. It is a big departure from the traditional qwerty or suretype BB. IMO, I am going to hold off upgrading to any new BB device to wait for the launch of the Storm. I think that the touch screen could be compelling, but want to see initial reviews and ideally have a chance to play with it in store.